ggn information systems Click on photo to enlarge
Photo of the Month
Portion of a General Electric advertisement celebrating 75 Years of Electrical Progress, as it appeared in the January 12, 1963 issue of Broadcasting/Telecasting.
Columbia Broadcasting's experimental facilities were W2XAB. The station became commercial on October 29, 1941 as WCBW, transmitting from the Chrysler Building. In 1943 the transmitter was now on the Woolworth Building, by 1944 it was back on Chrysler. In late 1950's, CBS signed a contract to move the transmitter to the multiple antenna site on the Empire State Building. CBS always operated with the channel 2 designation, even though over the years, the frequency was different.
WCBW became WCBS-TV on November 1, 1946.